The Australia Taxation Office (ATO) have advised of an increase in the number of scammers who are pretending to be from the ATO.
Pre-recorded messages are being sent claiming that you have a debt with the ATO and must call back to arrange payment or a warrant for your arrest will be issued.
With today’s technology scammers are able to use caller id that displays a legit ATO number; otherwise known as ‘spoofing’.
How to Stay Safe; Things to Remember;
1. Calls from the ATO do not show a number on caller ID
– It always appears as a private number
2. ATO do not use pre-recorded messages
– Do not call back, don’t provide any personal details and delete the massage
3. ATO will never threaten immediate arrest
4. ATO will never demand immediate payment via bitcoin, prepaid credit or gift cards
5. If unsure about the call hang up and call 1800 008 540 to confirm if the call was legitimate or report a scam
For more information please check out threat-based impersonation scams;